Wednesday, November 26, 2014

How Much Canadian Tire 10X Rewards Realy Worth

You usually see the promotion of 10X or more Canadian Tire money rewards for gas in its flyers. How good the 10x rewards are? I was always confused about the rewards I got on the gas receipt. It is much less than the 10x rewards I imaged.

I was thinking I could get more than 1% Canadian Tire money when I bought something in its store by using its Option Mastercard. So I just believe I should get similar on the gas bar, 10x means 10% Canadian Tire money of my consumed. However, it is never true.

Take a look of Canadian Tire Money Multiplier Chart below:(Canadian Tire has updated the Multiplier chart, new one seems give you better return)

Here are something we should keep in mind
  1. Canadian Tire money you earned is based on the liters you filled in your gas tank, rather than the money you spend on your gas. So, the gas price goes higher, the return becomes lower. So, filling premium gas will get less return.
  2. There are steps of the return, the more gas you fill, the more return you can get.
  3. Always fill gas to the minimum level of each step to get the best return. For example, fill 40 liters gas instead of 49.9 liters.

I did some math to convert multiplier reward to CT money return.
Let’s take today’s gas price, $1.139/per liter, as an example
If the reward multiplier is 10x, you fill 50 liters gas. Your total spend is $56.95, and your reward is 2.0, the CT money return is 3.51%. If you filled the same amount premium gas at $1.309/per liter, the CT money return is 3.06%.

Comparing with other reward program, Canadian Tire seems not having too many advantages. For example, 10x Air mile reward for premium at Shell gas station + 2% cash back credit card, the actual return could more than 5%.

However, 3%+ reward is not bad if you use it smartly.



No comments:

Post a Comment