Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Tips of Credit Card and Point Card Daily Using

There are many credit cards and point cards in the market. Different people like different ones. Here are what I have in my purse and I will show you how I am using them.
  • RBC Cash Back Mastercard
  • Amzon.ca Visa card
  • Canadiantire World Option Mastercard
  • American Express True Earning with Costco (Replaced by Capital One Platinum MasterCard)
  • Shoppers Drugmart Optimum card
  • Airmile card
  • Aeroplan card 
Grocery Store
RBC Cash Back MasterCard, gives you 2% cash back (Participating ones).

+ Airmile card in some of the grocery stores below:
Metro, Sobeys, Foodland, IGA, check the full list.

+ Aeroplan card in Sobeys if you like.

Drug Store
 I don’t have particular credit card for drug stores for big cash back. So I am using Amazon.ca Visa card for 1% cash back. If American Express card is accepted, its SimplyCash card could give you 1.25% cash back.

+ Optimum card in Shoppers Drugmart to enjoy maximum 20x-points collection. Redeem return can be up to 50%.

+ Airmile card in Rexall Drug Store.

Gas Station
 American Express True Earning and Capital One Platinum MasterCard will give you 2% cash back. I don’t use others since I have to keep one of them for Costco shopping.

+ Airmile card in Shell Gas
+ Aeroplan card in ESSO Gas
+ Switch to Canadian Tire Option when it has 10x more.

Canadian Tire
I go to Canadian Tire very often, so I kept one Canadian Tire World Option Mastercard. It will give you roughly 4% back if you use it in Canadian Tire. For the Canadian Tire gas station, when it is on promotion, 10x, I will go and use Canadian tire Option mastercard. You need to understand what the 10x means. I will give you another post to tell it in details.
  
Other Retail Store
For other retail store including most of the Chinese grocery stores I visit very often, either you use the store credit card, or use the one can give you best return. For me, I don’t want to keep many credit card in my purse, so usually I am using Amazon.ca Visa, which has 1% cash back, or American Express SimpleCash if it is accepted, which will give you 1.25% cash back.

Keep in mind to use points card if it is accept.

Also, for stores like Sears, HBC, use their own credit cards at the promotion time, such as Boxing Day, Black Friday, you will get more discount or more points. In other time, you don’t need keep those cards with you all the time.

Shopping in US

If you do cross broad shopping often, you need to know the FX exchange charge in most of the credit card (even credit companies claim they don’t do that), which could be 1-2% or even more. Amazon.ca Visa card does not charge any FX exchange fee and that is my first choice when I buy stuff in US. 

No comments:

Post a Comment